Never Give Up.......Motor Neurone Disease.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Family Get together


Family reunion.

About two months ago I received an email from a cousin in the South Island of New Zealand. His name was Steve. He was suggesting a cousin get together with family members coming from all parts of NZ. It has been just on 40 years since I had seen any of my cousin's so Jan and I made the decision to take part. To see more photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/mymnd/
We left Upper Hutt early last Thursday morning and caught a plane to Dunedin Airport where we were picked up by Steve and Marlene (his wife) , in photo on the right. During the course of the next few hours we had lunch and then afternoon tea with my cousin Jan, above left.
We were then taken to Balclutha where we were to spent the next four wonderful days with my cousin Val sight seeing and being taken to the family gatherings.
It is at times like this that you realize how important family are. I was shown nothing but the up most love and concern. And with my feeling's running very high there were alot of tears, not only on my part but from other family members.
I and Jan now feel that there is a bond between us all. A bond that transcends not only time but distance as well. As a child you reach out to those around you for love and help in those moments when you hurt and your body won't do as you wish. When you are diagnosed with MND or any other condition, you as an adult do the very same thing, YOU REACH OUT and if you are lucky someone will take that path that so many other people have done in the past. I can now reach out and touch the hands and hearts of all those people who matter to me. FAMILY.. There are times when you could do without them, everyone has that feeling but, when family come into your life at a time when you most need them, where ever they may be , then you are are one of the chosen few.
And most importantly, family need you. We found that out in the time we had down South. I was a link, not only to my immediate family but to all of those who had passed on. Family photo's were brought out and poured over, questions asked and names put to faces. Photo's were also taken to be added to family albans.
If I am lucky we will do this again. Soon.......




1 Comments:

  • I am so pleased you had such a great time with family but I am also pleased that you are back home - missed you my dear friend! The photos look fantastic and will keep those happy and sad memories going for a long time. One thing that nobody can take away from you and that is your memories.

    By Blogger The Happy Hutter, At 10:50 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home