Never Give Up.......Motor Neurone Disease.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Hourglass of time....

We are like grains of sand in the hourglass of time. A time that knows no boundaries and has no start and no end. And that is the question I need to ask myself. Where did it start and when will it finish.
As a young man in my early teens I used to get severe cramp in my left leg which seemed to go on for ever. The only relief was in the form of my mother massaging my leg to ease the pain. This cramping lasted only for a few years and over time ceased.
But, it is my left leg that this blessed MND started in and begs the question, WHY. Is it a coincidence. I have been told that it is not. But who knows. I don’t.
As the grains of sand move on down they interact with each other, some falling just that much faster. And so it is with ALS/MND. How much faster will I fall or will the progress down slow and cause the hourglass to tilt. This is what we all hope for but the reality is that we will, with time being the creature she is, put the hourglass back on track and our grains of sand will continue on their ultimate course.
We are a strange people. Our bodies control us in all aspects of our being, in the way we talk and think and how and what we do . And it is the same when we contracted ALS/MND.

WE HAVE NO CONTROL…our body controls us…
The body dictates to us that we will no longer be able to do this or that. Life as you know it ( and as time knows it ) has ceased to exist. So, what do we do. You ( I ) juggle and make the most out of a bad situation. We still require that daily contact with the people who matter the most in our life’s and they with us which means that they too have to adjust.
We still need to eat and drink, brush our teeth, get dressed and do all the 101 things we used to do. But now, with ALS/MND and time standing on the sideline we have been handed a new set of criteria. A new way of living.
The guidelines’ for us and all of those about to be diagnosed have changed dramatically . And to achieve the quality of life that we once knew and to be able to hold on to it for a little longer we have to make aware, to the people of the world, the situation that we are in.
Time will not stand still for us. This we know. It may slow down but that is all. If I could climb or run or even walk to make aware and to raise funds for ALS/MND I would be out there doing just that. But, that is not possible so I will try and do my little bit via the internet to bring more awareness of not only my situation but that of all people suffering this disease.
The sand in MY hourglass continues to fall………..SLOWLY…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home