Never Give Up.......Motor Neurone Disease.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

To have or not to have...

That indeed is the question.....

We are a resilient race of people, strong in out fortitude and our determination in the face of adversity to stay alive and healthy despite everything that is thrown at us.
There need not be a lack of food or hygiene for you to catch MND. It does not matter in what state of health you are in or what age you are. We like to believe that we are immune to all of the illness that has plagued our world but the human body is infallible.
We are like dandelion seeds floating in the breeze, carefree and and unmindful of where we land, but land we do. And if you are lucky you strike a good patch of soil, rich and free of bugs and grow up to become strong and healthy and have a good life.
But, on the other hand you may land in soil that is barren, infertile and full of bugs and if you grow at all, find that you have become like the soil you landed in.
But who is to say that either of these situations lends itself to MND. The truth is we don't know and despite all the research going on around the world it may be a very long time before we find out what the cause of MND is. ( if at all )
Update on me....
I like to think that I have a strength of body and firmness of mind and that I will live on for quiet a few more years yet but know that the average life span from diagnosis is fourteen months. I was given two & a half years from the 15/12/05 but am determent that I shall be around a little bit longer than that. ( if my body lets me ).
Regardless of the fact that I seem to be progressing slowly ( I think ) and with my hands ( mainly my right ) cramping up at inopportune moments ( ie, eating in a restaurant ),legs packing up and a few more twitches here and there I am enjoying life.
Last week I was measured up for a power wheelchair which I may have before Christmas. I now have a Laptop/notebook ,never had one before, enjoy my food ( eat ice cream and chocolate like its going out of fashion ) love sweets and drink numerous cups of coffee during the day.
I spend a lot of time thinking about what to say in these entries in my blog and throughout remain positive. For someone with MND or any disability, being positive is one of the main drives in ones makeup and it is that which will keep me going through the years that I have left, however many there are.
I look at myself in the mirror every night and say..."Well, Robert old boy, tomorrow is another day and I will stride ( no pun intended ) out into this world that is being torn apart with wars, hunger, strife and pain and in my little part of it enjoy what I have, with friends and family.
I did not want to have Motor Neurone Disease but have it I do....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home