Never Give Up.......Motor Neurone Disease.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Holiday in New Plymouth



In Easter of this year Jan and I decided we would go to New Plymouth to spend some time with our son John and his partner Tania and her three children. With my walking being what it was we also decided that just maybe we should look at hiring a wheelchair for the duration of the time that we would be there.
It was a very good move on our part. We arrived at our sons place late afternoon and made a fuss of by the family. Next morning after having breakfast we all piled outside with John in charge of the chair. I walked as far as I could down to the end of the street (not far) and then got into the chair.
I can only describe the whole time that we were out that day as wonderful. I had a ball being pushed around by John, Tania and of course Jan. New Plymouth has a fantastic walkway along the foreshore and it seems to go for miles. A lot of people, in wheelchairs (both manual and electric), bikes and other forms of mobility plus those who just walk or run use this wonderful asset to New Plymouth.
For anyone with a disability using a wheelchair is the last resort. But it shouldn't be. Having a chair for myself has opened up a whole new world to me. It means that I can be independent. I can go shopping, go to the Movies or even hop on to a bus or train.

To anyone reading this who is unable to walk for whatever reason let me say that to use a wheelchair is not giving up on life. Quite the reverse...I can still walk at this stage, slowly and with a stick and I must say its hard work at times, but, the chair has made life so much easier, not only for me but for those around me as it means I can join in with whatever is going on. GET OUT AND ENJOY THE TIME YOU HAVE....





From the walkway we went into the town proper and at one time I had a passenger sitting in my lap, Isaiah, the youngest of Tania's children. He thought it was pretty cool being able to have a ride. A great day had by all. Sunshine, fresh air, ice cream's and the enjoyment on my part of being pushed around by those who love me. Really nice.... The wheelchair was well used in the time that we spent in New Plymouth.

In the photo on the left is Tania's oldest girl, Shianne who also had a great time in her powered wheel-chair. Shianne, 8 years of age is a bright young girl full of life despite also having a disability.
She is the sort of person that makes you want to do better yourself. You know...if she can do that or this then so can I.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home