Never Give Up.......Motor Neurone Disease.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Motor Neurone Disease


My name is Robert Andrew Coutts of Silverstream, Upper Hutt in New Zealand.

I was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND) on 15th December 2005. I am 64 years of age, married to a wonderful woman called Jan and we have two son's, John 25 and Phil 23. Six months have gone by and my status at this moment in time is that my walking ability is not the best. As you can see in the photo I have a very good walking stick but I have also been issued with a wheelchair which is really great. It means that Jan and I can now get out and enjoy the walks that were so much a part of our life.

In the Hutt Valley where I live we have a great support team. The main office for the New Zealand MND branch is in Wellington.. http://www.mndanz.org.nz

I have been asked many times by friends and family if I am angry or bitter about what has happened to me and I have to answer, No!. Why that answer..Why not, I can't undo the diagnosis. I have to make a stand and get on with life as best I can. At the time it was a shock and as Jan tells people, "We don't have to accept what Robert has, but, we can live with it". And that is what we are doing, taking each day as it comes and being very positive.

There are many changes that we have to make, like anyone with this disease, none the least is that we will have to sell our house as it has stairs (two story townhouse) and look for one on the flat. You don't realize just how many changes have to be made until you go to climb out of the bath, try to make a simple cup of tea and carry it to the table, wash the dishes, the list goes on.

Here is a link to the Scottish MND web site http://www.scotmnd.org.uk/

June 21st 2006 is Global Awareness Day for all those people affected by MND

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home